Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Job I Want

I don't know if any of you know what Scaled Composites does, but they are the designers and builders for the Virgin Galactic spacecraft. Last week, I saw online that they are looking to hire people. Unfortunately, I'm not done with school, yet, but I did submit my application into them. I would love to work for them. I've always wanted to do something involving outer space, and for the longest time, I was, working on my Ph.D. in Astronomy. But now, I'm working on a degree in civil engineering with an emphasis on structures. I was thinking of working for NASA, designing and building space stations, but with this possible opportunity, I'll be in on the ground floor of something that will be big someday. And I can look at those spacecraft someday and say to myself, "Hey, I built that. That is so cool."

The only downside I see for maybe working there is that I'll have to move to California. But it would be an opportunity that I could not deny myself. I love Pittsburgh and will miss my friends, but this is something that I feel I was meant to do. I can always come back to visit Pittsburgh, just like I always can go visit my family. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

what an awesome opportunity! good luck!!

Kate said...

Good luck! I think that you'd really like doing that--and you would probably regret not trying.

Moving to new places isn't that bad--M and L have lived in 5 and 4 places, respectively. There's always something good about where you are. You just have to find it.