Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Good News/Bad News

The good news is is that I'm back home in Pittsburgh after a wonderful visit with my family (only two days too long - more on that later). Besides spending time with Mom and Dad, I got to see Tom, Joanne and Maggie and 6 of their combined 8 children (Tom's daughter, Joanne's two youngest, and Maggie's three) and my sister-in-law Chris and Maggie's husband Josh. Aunts Dorothy, Gina and Judy also came by on Saturday and we had a great time (when I was awake - again, I'll explain later). I went to the Nelson for the first time since I was a senior in high school, and attended a double header that the Royals swept over the A's. I have some pictures, but they will have to wait till my camera arrives (again, I'll explain it later). All in all, a great time.

Now the bad news. I drove to Kansas City in my beautiful 1993 Corolla whose color my brother-in-law Birch referred to as "Zinfadel". It was an easy drive to Kansas City. I left Pittsburgh at 5 PM on the 13th of August and got into KC at 7 am the next morning. I was sore as all, but that happens the older you get. I drove to the museum with dad and did some shopping (shot glasses for my boss and some t-shirts for my girlfriend). So basically, the week was great. I was coming back from Kauffman Stadium after the double header and fireworks, and got stuck in traffic on I-70W just before the I-670 ramp to Kansas. Unfortunately, a woman behind the car behind mine wasn't paying attention. She rear-ended the car behind me which in turn pushed that car into mine. Needless to say, when I got home after the accident, I had trouble sleeping, so that is why I fell asleep on Saturday with everyone there (amazing considering how many kids were there). So here I am stranded in KC without my car, far from home. Luckily, I was there visiting family, so I was able to stay with Mom and Dad a little longer, but by Sunday, I was ready to go home. Hence, two days too late. My car was towed to a body shop in Kansas City, MO but I still had to get back home. I ended up buying a plane ticket to Pittsburgh for Tuesday night (which I will get reimbursed for), but still don't have a car. So I'm in limbo till I know what they are going to do with my car, either fixing it (which means I have to fly back to KC to pick it up), or totalling it (which is what I prefer, though I'll have to buy a new car). I'm just glad school starts on Monday, so I can hopefully concentrate on something else for a little bit instead of worrying about my car or lack thereof.

Addendum (24 Aug 2006): My insurance company called me today. My car will be totalled which means I do not have to fly back to KC, but I will have go out and buy a new car.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Oh no! What a pain. I hope that it is totalled. It's much easier to replace it at this point.

I'm glad the trip went well otherwise though.

Pat said...

I just found out today that it will be totalled. Now the pain is going to find another car.